It is profoundly weird and disorienting having summer end and no set structure to go back to. On the other hand, I’m starting to piece together a structure for my post-grad life, and I’m pretty thrilled with some of the pieces! Here’s what’s up with me:
(As usual, you can check the news page of my website for details and a constant supply of self-promotion.)
- First off, I finally gave in and got an Instagram (@nadiainherownworld) after years of avoiding it for no particular reason! I look forward to expanding my skill set by wasting time in ways other than Facebook. I mean networking.
- I’m really excited to be a part of Gotham Dance Theater, and we’ve recently begun rehearsals for the fall season!
- I’ll be performing with the company for the first time this Thursday 9/7 at the EMERGE Choreographer’s Showcase! Also on the program, I will be presenting a new solo, “Teenage Angst Survivor’s Club” (Expect some mashed-up Panic! and Paramore vocals, a ghostly return of my misunderstood-fourteen-year-old-boy phase, and a bowtie.)
- Further down the line, GDT is developing an evening length work, “This feels like home.” as part of a residency the University Settlement in collaboration with students in the English language learning program. Catch the performances on October 14 and 15.
- We will also be presenting excerpts of this work at the Queensboro Dance Festival on October 7 and 8.
- In other performance news, I will be dancing in a piece by Joe Monteleone as part of Amalgamate Dance Company’s Guest Artist Showcase! The performance, which also includes work by Douglas Gillespie, Tiffany Mills, and Joya Powell, will be September 17.
- It still feels way too warm to be hearing snow music, but we’ve begun rehearsals for Giada Ferrone’s Nutcracker NYC: A Contemporary Ballet. Performances December 8 and 9!
- I recently joined Artery, a platform for hosting/performing at/finding pop-up showcases, and it has been one of my favorite things ever. Basically, I have been improvising solos at various rooftop showcases alongside amazing singers, musicians, dancers, and visual artists, and getting to know some wonderful, supportive people.
- Stay tuned: my roommates and I are looking to organize an all improv showcase before it gets too cold: all improv, any genre (music, dance, theater, comedy, etc.)
- I’m a tutor, office assistant, hopefully soon-to-be dance teaching assistant, and barista-in-training.
- At the moment, I am also a deeply congested and foggy person.
- Yesterday, I got on a train in the wrong direction, spaced out, and drifted to Queens. Clearly, my brain is killing it.
- I tried trimming my hair with a comb-thing which, from the Amazon reviews, seems to be mostly used by people with long-haired cats. Although I am not exactly the same as as a long-haired cat, I figured that we have enough similarities. It worked pretty well.