Those who came before you
believed what they could—
what they had to—
to get you here.
You owe it to their legacy
not to fossilize their words,
but to plant them;
To grow and dream and expect
what those before you
never knew how to imagine.
If you see every age past
in either dark or golden
you’ll think this multichromatic chaos is new.
But nah, this same shitstorm’s been swirling
solidifying and splintering–
its past forms you could never
replicate precisely nor erase completely
even if you wanted to.
An out-of-context collection of some of the snarkier things I wrote in various textbooks and readings for class:
- Freud projects his mommy issues onto all of humanity.
- Well that was a fun story before it got racist.
- Britain only wants you for your oil.
- So many ways to screw up a baby . . . How does anyone manage to end up a healthy, normal adult?
- Then again, I’m not sure I know any healthy, normal adults.
- Did Russia stop existing during this century, or did you just forget to write about it?
- Nothing says “great ruler” like mass beheadings.
- Did women stop existing during this century, or did you just forget to write about them?
- Who would sign their baby up to be classically conditioned, anyway?
- OMG tutus and moving torsos . . . so scandalous! How will we explain that to the children?
- Woah, naked ankles. Sexy stuff.
- (Note: looks like tight pants are not responsible for women being inappropriately sexualized.)
- Stop trying to make history fit your narrative. It’s not going to happen.
- Spoiler: she wakes up and it was all a social construction.